If you have research content available for this section, please submit it. Your help is appreciated!

Cst John Hallworth Jr. (1870-1909)

A railway strike erupted on August 12, 1909 in Fort Williams Ontario. Canadian Pacific Railway hired 30 railway constables from Winnipeg to help quell the riot. A shootout occurred between the rioters and the CPR Police. Cst. Hallworth was shot three times by buck shot. He was transported to Fort Williams hospital for treatment. He was released from hospital but became ill from his injuries a short time later. Cst. Hallworth attended Winnipeg General Hospital. X-Rays were performed which confirmed bullet fragments were still lodged in his body. Cst. Hallworth underwent surgery to remove the bullet fragments. Cst. Hallworth died on the operating table on October 6, 1909.


Cst. Hallworth was born and raised in Cheshire, England in 1870 to Elizabeth and John Hallworth Sr. In 1888 at the age of 18, he enlisted in the Royal Horse Guards. In 1902 he volunteered for service in the Boer War. He was  the receipent African Boer War Volunteer medal. He immigrated to Canada by himself in 1907. He was working at the Bemis Bag factory in Winnipeg before being hired on with CPR Police. He was held in very high regard by his colleagues.


Cst. Hallworth is currently buried in Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg, Manitoba in an unmarked grave.

Cst Robert George MacIntosh (1882 – 1912)

Witten and researched by retired Sgt. Doug Marianchuk

Cst MacINTOSH had been a member of the Service for approximately three months. On September 4, 1912 he was on duty in Calgary, Alberta. He had been checking boxcars in the area of the Elbow River bridge when at around 9:00pm near by rail workers heard gunshots. When they came over to investigate they found the policeman laying on the ground suffering from a single gunshot to the chest area. Help was summoned and it arrived in the form of two members of the Calgary City Police, Csts BELT and DUNCAN. An ambulance was also called and the member was rushed to hospital but passed away without ever regaining consciousness. Examination revealed that the bullet, a .32 caliber one, had entered the right arm just above the elbow, passed through it and into the chest area. Cst MacINTOSH had his revolver in hand but it was not fired.

An investigation was conducted that involved members of the CPPS, Calgary City Police and Pinkertons Detective Agency. The resulting police investigation determined that, as this area had been hit by thieves in the recent past with several boxcars of alcohol being broken into, that Cst MacINTOSH had attended there hoping to surprise the thieves. This was confirmed by the investigators locating a boxcar, that had been broken into, and several bottles of whisky on the ground. It was believed at the time that Cst MacINTOSH did surprise the thieves, ordered them to halt and was subsequently shot and killed.

Earlier that day Cst MacINTOSH had been showing his fellow members a photo of his wife and three children and had remarked that he wanted to get a picture taken of himself in his dress uniform to send back home. Another significant find of the police investigation was that as he was in a rush to get to work Cst MacINTOSH had forgotten his issue sidearm at home. When he arrived at the Calgary detachment he borrowed a spare revolver. An examination of this revolver showed that it had a broken trigger spring and was incapable of being fired.

After reading the article I conducted a check on the national Canadian Police and Peace Officers Memorial site to see if he was on the memorial. He was not. In order to get him honored on the national memorial some research had to be done to ensure he met the criteria. I first had to try and locate any living relatives. As part of the article indicated he had come from the Strathy area of Scotland I sent an e-mail to the historical society there. A short time later I received an e-mail back from a lady there, Shirley SUTHERLAND, who put me in touch with a David MACKAY. David, as it turns out, is a great nephew of the deceased Cst MacINTOSH. He then e-mailed me and advised that he would check with his mother who may have information on relatives of Robert. Two weeks later I received an e-mail from Christine FELTHAM, a 73 year old lady living in Scotland. She informed me that she was the granddaughter of Robert MacINTOSH. Ms FELTHAM was a wealth of information. She was even able to unearth a photo of her grandfather and even a copy of the photo of his wife and three children that he had been showing to his work mates.

Between Christine and David I was able to put together a short history of Robert. He sailed for Canada sometime in 1911 aboard the SS CANADA, from Liverpool, England. He, and his brother-in-law, arrived in Nova Scotia and eventually made their way to Calgary, Alberta. There Robert found employment with the Canadian Pacific Police and prepared to have his family sail over from Scotland. Shortly afterwards he was murdered. Robert’s brother –in-law then returned to Scotland with Robert’s body and he was subsequently buried in Strathy. His widow, Anna, had opted for the return of his body and not the small pension from the CPR that was her other option. She continued to live in Scotland until her death in 1969.



DOB: 1882-03-09

DOD: 1912-09-04 


Cst Anthony Tierney (1893-1922)

On April 8, 1922 at 12:45 a.m., CPR  Cst. Tierney and Cst. Sutton were patrolling the Canadian Pacific rail yard in Moose Jaw, SK.  Both officers came across three suspects committing a break-in to a rail car.  Both officers immediately tried to apprehend the suspects. One of the suspects open fire on Cst. Tierney striking him in the heart.  Cst. Tierney succumbed to his fatal injuries before help could arrive.

A provincial wide man hunt was initiated that involved CPR Police, SK Provincial Police, RNWMP, and multiple other municipal police departments. Subsequent investigation led police to the arrest of Andrew SEMKO for the murder. A hammer, which ended up being a key piece of evidence, was recovered near the box car that was broken into. Residents in Moose Jaw were questioned if anyone recognized the  unique hammer. Witnesses eventually lead police to Andrew SEMKO whom the hammer was believed to have belonged to. Using a police agent, SEMKO was caught coaching his wife to create a false alibi. SEMKO had provided police with a false statement trying to implicant his wife’s lover as being one of the suspects. 

SEMKO was eventually acquitted of the murder of Cst. TIERNEY. SEMKO was later charged with perjury for the false statements provided to investigators. To date, none of the three suspects have been identified.

Cst. Tierney had served many years of police service in Canada. He joined the Royal North West Mounted Police in 1914. In 1917, Cst. Tierney left the RNWMP to serve  overseas with the Flying Air Corps. Cst. Tierney was honourably discharged after being seriously injured during a crash.  Upon returning to Canada, he joined with CPR Police and had 2 years and 1 month of service at the time of his death. He was original born in Prince Edward Island and moved to western Canada after enlisting in the RNWMP.  He was married with three children.

Cst James Urquhart (1885 -1930)

Written and researched by retired Sgt. Doug Marianchuk.


While conducting the research on Robert MacINTOSH I managed to come across a second member of the CPPS who was killed on duty yet not honoured on the national monument. His name was Cst James URQUHART. He was stationed with the Vancouver detachment of the CPPS. James was born on April 19, 1885 and was killed on duty on April 21, 1930. Cst URQUHART was also born in Scotland and had emigrated to Canada for a better life. Prior to emigrating he had served with the Glasgow Police in Scotland, on arrival in Canada he served with the Winnipeg City Police before transferring over to the Canadian Pacific Railway Police. During his time with the CPPS he had been released from duty to serve in the Great War, which he did for five years, and returned a decorated hero.

On the day of his death he was posted at the Columbia St crossing in Vancouver. While he was protecting the crossing Passenger Train #4 pulled out of the station, as it did so Cst URQUHART had stepped back from its path and was struck from behind by a west bound freight train and killed instantly. He had no known next of kin.

Cst james reid Mackie (1890-1933)

On September 8, 1933, CP Rail Police Cst. James MACKIE, and Cst. G. MILLER (both working out of Montreal) were patrolling a rail yard in Lanoraie, Quebec when they encountered two men in the act of breaking into a rail car. Upon attempting to arrest the two men, MACKIE, who was 43 years of age, was shot five times and critically wounded. Cst MACKIE was removed to Joliette, and then to a hospital in Montreal. MACKIE had two shots in his chest, two in his left arm, and one in his left side, below the heart. 

Paul THOUIN, age 28, was responsible for firing the shots using a revolver. He was arrested at the scene. Shortly afterwards, a second male whose identity was not disclosed, was arrested at St. Thomas, 3 miles from Joliette. 

The railcar being broken into was later discovered to be loaded with cement. 

Source: Sherbrooke Daily Record -1933 Sept 08 (Page 2)


DOB: 1890-01-07

DOD: 1933-09-08


Cst MACKIE is buried at the Cimetière Mont-Royal in Outremont, Montreal Region, Que. also now known as the Mount Royal Cemetery

Researched by Cst Brendan GROFT

Cst George H. HOWARD (1898-1936)

According to information listed at the Canadian Police and Peace Officer’s Memorial website, Cst. George H. HOWARD (age 38) was struck and killed by a locomotive in a rail yard while searching for a parcel. 

DOB: 1898-01-23

DOD: 1936-12-23

If you have research content available for this section, please submit it. Your help is appreciated!

Investigator Grant Edward Martin (1931 – 1989)

According to information listed at the Canadian Police and Peace Officer’s Memorial website, Investigator Grant E. MARTIN, age 57, of the CPPS Toronto detachment, was walking outside the station when he was struck and killed by a vehicle. Inv. MARTIN had 37 years of service.  

DOB: 1931-10-26

DOD: 1989-04-29

If you have research content available for this section, please submit it. Your help is appreciated!


Cst Robert w. Hudspith (????-1915)

DOD: 1915–07-24

Geneva, ON

If you have research content available for this section, please submit it. Your help is appreciated!

Cst william m. alexander (1849-1925)

DOB: 1849-04-16

DOD: 1925-02-08

Vancouver, BC

Cst William ALEXANDER, while in the line of duty, succumbed to injuries suffered as a result of an elevator accident while on patrol of CP property.  

William Alexander’s information was added to the BC Peace Officers Memorial in 2021.

Investigative Report – William ALEXANDER

Exerpt summary from the investigative report:

“Cst. William Alexander was on duty at C.P.R. Wharf D – Vancouver, B.C. when he attempted to extricate a stuck baggage elevator that he was riding in. While working on the jammed gate, the elevator moved back into motion and Alexander was caught and crushed between floors. Strenuous efforts were required to remove him and he was transported to hospital where he died the next day.”

The above attached report was coordinated through CPKC Police Service Insp. Ron Ternes and Sgt Jonathan Sheldan of the Victoria Police Department. It was forwarded to the CPPA in 2024.

Insp. wilfred mansell (????-1927)

Inspector and Fire Chief

DOD: 1927-04-19

Toronto, ON

If you have research content available for this section, please submit it. Your help is appreciated!